What should I wear to my session?
Updated: Apr 23, 2019
I’m so stoked for our session! Are you feeling a little overwhelmed trying to decide what to wear? Not a problem, I’m here to help! Here are five tips to help you get rid of that pre-session stress. These are suggestions (not requirements) that can help you decide what to wear.
1. Choose clothing to flatter the body. Extremely baggy or oversized clothing can be unflattering. For your man, the most masculine look is a collared shirt with fitted slacks or jeans. For you, the most feminine look is a skirt or dress. It adds a little romance to your shoot! If dresses aren’t for you, fitted bottoms are great if you are wanting a more casual look. During an engagement session, there’s time for an outfit change if you would like a little of both!
2. Soft colors are a great way to enhance the look of your pictures. Neutral and pastel colors will help brighten your photos and give it an elegant look. I highly recommend avoiding neon colors because they affect the lighting on your face. Large logos and clothing with lots of holes are also distracting. We don’t want anything distracting from the focus of your photos- YOU!
3. Focusing on a color scheme will make it easier to coordinate outfits. Think about the background of the place you will be doing your session and the main colors that includes. For example, in the canyon there are a lot of earthy tones so pastel pinks or blues with light greys or browns would look great! Picking a color scheme that will compliment the background can help pull the focus to you. It also helps narrow down your options. If you need some help with this, don’t hesitate to send me an email or a text.
4. Be cautious about being too matchy. You want your outfits to coordinate and look good together but avoid putting everyone in the same color. Adding in textures (stripes, floral print, polka dots etc) can give dimension but keep in mind that it’s better to have more solid colors than textures.
5. Get creative. Remember that these photos are to capture you and your loved ones! While it is best to wear solids, feel free to add accents such as jewelry, hair bows, belts, or scarves. This will help express and capture your personality!
Most importantly, just be your beautiful self! Wear something that you are comfortable and confident in. Don’t overthink it, your session will be great! If you are still unsure after reading this, shoot me a text or email and we can talk about it. I love when clients send me photos of their options to get a second opinion for color schemes or outfit choices. I want this experience to be fun and stress free so I am excited to help out! :)